ASTCT Pharmacy SIG Journal Club - June 2023
The June 2023 Pharmacy SIG Journal Club will air on Wednesday, June 7 from 2-3 PM CDT. In the June Journal Club session, Drs. Chen and Scott will present on two articles related to use of (a) defibrotide for prophylaxis of sinusoidal obstruction syndrome and (b) allogeneic transplant in newly diagnosed patients with AML following venetoclax/azacytidine or intensive induction. This session is intended for pharmacists and other members of the health care team who are involved in managing patients undergoing allogeneic stem cell transplant.
Presenters & Articles
Teaghan Chen, PharmD
PGY-2 Pharmacy Resident
Children’s Hospital Colorado
Campbell Scott, PharmD
PGY-2 Pharmacy Resident
University of Georgia
Session Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe current standards of care in the prevention of sinusoidal obstruction syndrome
- Evaluate the safety and efficacy of defibrotide use for the prevention of sinusoidal obstruction syndrome
- Compare sinusoidal obstruction syndrome outcomes in patients that received defibrotide plus standard of care standard versus care alone
- Summarize the role of venetoclax plus azacitidine in the treatment of patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia
- Compare post-allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant outcomes between patients who received initial induction with venetoclax plus azacitidine or an intensive chemotherapy regimen
This activity is jointly provided by The France Foundation and American Society for Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (ASTCT).
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by The France Foundation and American Society for Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (ASTCT). The France Foundation is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This knowledge-based activity, UAN # JA0007204-9999-23-037-L01-P, qualifies for 1.0 contact hours (0.10 CEUs) of continuing pharmacy education credit. Please submit all evaluations and credit requests no later than 30 days after you complete this activity to ensure your credit fulfillment, as CE credit cannot be awarded past 60 days from the activity date. Your CE credits will be electronically submitted to the NABP upon successful completion of the activity. Pharmacists with questions can contact NABP customer service (email@example.com).
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
The full CE information for this session, including presenter disclosures and accreditation information, can be found here.